Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring in the Desert

I just returned from a week in Arizona and it opened my eyes to things I knew, but are
sometimes hard to envision.  While the north struggled with mountains of snow and bitter cold weather, the southwest  part of our country has been enjoying weeks of clear blue weather and temperatures in the mid 80's.

Being who I am, the flora and fauna of any place I visit is always immensely interesting to me and last week was no different.  At first glance I appreciated the temperature and the cloudless sky, but wasn't that enamored with all the browns and beiges of theArizona desert...and then the desert started to bloom.

Overnight plants that looked almost dead shot out flower buds and even hints of green.  It was remarkable and I was reminded of so many things and impressed with the diversity of life and the multitude ways plants and animals adapt and then thrive in their environments.


Bougainvillea
 I apologize for not knowing the names of all these plants.  Having never seen the desert before and without a resource I just took pictures and enjoyed them. I hope you will too

The better news is that upon coming home today we
found the snow melting and definite signs of spring in the North.


There is beauty in snow, too, but I'm ready for the vibrant colors of spring.   For now though enjoy these desert beauties.
Prickly Pear





No comments:

Post a Comment