Friday, November 21, 2014

Monarch Article

I was so surprised...today when I picked up the newspaper and there was an  article entitled:
Monarchs may be loved to death posted from the NY Times. I had just talked about monarchs myself the day before, but now I was concerned that my information wasn't accurate...but it was. WHEW!

The article talks about "tropical milkweed." I have never heard of this variety of milkweed before, but the milkweed I'm talking about is a native plant and it doesn't live long into the Fall like this tropical cousin.  So if you want to add milkweed to your garden do a little research first and be sure you're planting Asclepias syriaca or common milkweed.


The bigger plant is common milkweed. The plant next to it with the orange flowers is butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa).  Reportedly some monarchs will eat butterfly weed, but it's never happened to me personally.  The good news is it is another native plant of the midwest prairies, and when in doubt...go native!

Below is a link to a federal chance to help Monarchs:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/02/10/nows-your-chance-help-save-monarch-butterfly?cmpid=tpanimals-eml-2015-02-14-cove

No comments:

Post a Comment